Clarington Real Estate

The Municipality of Clarington is a part of the Regional Municipality of Durham and within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Clarington covers a large land area and is located approximately 75 kilometres east of Toronto on the shores of Lake Ontario. The next largest town to the east is Port Hope, and on the west it is bordered by the City of Oshawa. Clarington is a large municipality and includes the well known communities of Newcastle, Bowmanville and Courtice.
 
The total population of Clarington is approximately 90,000 and growing rapidly because hundreds of new homes are built every year. According to the Region of Durham, the population of Clarington is expected to reach 140,000 by 2031. Canada's busiest expressway, Highway 401, travels through the middle of Clarington and Hwy 35/115 provides a northern gateway to cities such a Peterborough and the Halliburton cottage area. Hwy 407 is planned to extend eastward and terminate at Hwy 35/115. Clarington is also serviced by GO bus service and Durham Region Transit buses.
A local 100 bed hospital, the Lakeridge Health Corporation, is located in Bowmanville. The Town has a vibrant business community with many local businesses serving the needs of its inhabitants. The RCMP has a headquarters in Bowmanville. The largest local employer is the Darlington Nuclear Generating Station.  The sprawling site is located on the north shore of Lake Ontario between Courtice and Bowmanville. The Darlington station comprises 4 CANDU nuclear reactors with a total output of 3,512 MWe (capacity net). It provides about 20 percent of Ontario's electricity needs or enough to serve two million people. The province of Ontario had planned to build up to 4 new nuclear units at the site. The goal was to have the new units go into service sometime around 2018. However, in 2009, the province rejected all of the bids for the massive project, leaving the expansion project on hold and the expansion uncertain.

History

Clarington became a municipality in 1974, and was previously known as the Town of Newcastle. The name change was made to alleviate long-standing confusion between the municipality as a whole and the village of the same name. Bowmanville is the largest community in Clarington and is the home to their municipal offices.
Bowmanville’s history dates back over 200 years with the arrival in 1794 of the first European settlers - three loyalist families from the U.S. - the Burks, the Conants and the Trulls. Settlers were attracted to the area by the farmland, and creeks for water mills. The first water mill (Vanstone's Mill) was located on Bowmanville Creek and remains today at the intersection of King Street and Scugog St. The success of the Vanstone Mill, and Crown's land grant program, led to the rapid expansion of the Bowmanville settlement in the early years of the 19th century. Under the generosity of wealthy local merchants such as John Simpson and Charles Bowman, small properties would often be sold to promote settlement and small business. The town soon developed a balanced economy; as Bowmanville gradually established itself as a moderate player in shipping, rail transport, metal works, tanneries, liveries, stables and mercantile commodity exchange.
By the time of Confederation, Bowmanville was a vital, prosperous and growing town. It was home to a largely Scots-Presbyterian community with farmers, workers and professionals making the town their home. With a stable local economy and accessible, abundant land available for the construction of housing; the town soon sported several new churches, including Auld Kirk, Anglican and Protestant congregations, and the Bible Christian Church, which later became a major stream of Canadian Methodism.
Local business organized and modernized during the 20th century, with the Dominion Organ and Piano factory, Specialty Paper Company, the Bowmanville Foundry, and the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company (1910) all providing steady work for Bowmanville's ever-growing working populations. Goodyear even went so far as to provide affordable housing for its employees, and present day Carlisle Ave. (built by Goodyear president W.C. Carlisle), still stands as one of Ontario's best preserved examples of industrial housing. The land on which the Bowmanville Hospital was built was donated by J.W. Alexander, the owner of the then-prospering Dominion Organ and Piano factory.

Living in Clarington

Presently, Clarington still has a diversified economy and it is a great place to live. There are nice downtown core areas in Courtice, Bowmanville and Newcastle, that each provides a sense of the local community. Farming in the area widespread and there is an abundance of green space and conservation areas. A major attraction in the municipality is the Mosport International Raceway, a multi-track facility located north of Bowmanville that features a 2.459-mile (4.0 km), 10-turn road course; a half-mile paved oval; a 2.4 km advance driver and race driver training facility and a 1.4 km kart track.
There two marinas on the shores of Lake Ontario, Port Darlington and the Port of Newcastle. There are 5 arenas with a total of 7 ice surfaces. There are 3 indoor and 2 outdoor swimming pools, an indoor soccer facility, plenty of outdoor soccer and baseball facilities, an extensive parks system and 17 community centers. Clarington has 5 golf courses, many creeks and is a popular fishing destination. It also has the largest private zoo in Canada, the Bowmanville Zoo. A $2 million hockey museum, named "Total Hockey" is now open at the Rickard Recreational Centre and features the 1300 piece hockey memorabilia collection of Brian McFarlane, a Canadian television sportscaster and novelist.
Clarington offers an abundance of affordable housing with a wide variety of housing types. Each community within Clarington offers housing ranging from historic to new construction. Single family dwellings predominate. Semi-detached and townhouses, rural executive estate lots, condominiums and rental apartments are also available.  Townhouses are available for approximately $375,000 and four bedroom detached houses can be purchased for about $450,000 or more.